Getting a Diagnosis
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
Thank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart
It is essential that a proper diagnosis is made before an appropriate treatment plan can be placed into action. There is no test for ADHD. An evaluation in the following areas should be done:
- physical exam - history and/or exam from a medical doctor
- academic testing (including aptitude) - testing to find out IQ and if there are possible learning disabilities
- psychological testing - testing to find if there are any emotional problems
- behavioral testing - testing to see if there are any major behavioral problems
- sometimes neurological testing
Also needed is a complete family history, parents and teacher rating scales on children. With all this information, the doctor can eliminate other problems that exhibit many of the same symptoms as ADHD.
Once a proper diagnosis has been made a treatment plan can be designed and placed into action.
This information was taken from a handout by Jan Roberts MS , LPC and Cindy Taylor, PhD.